Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving: Just Like Chicken Soup, It Makes Everything Feel Better

As I sit here at 2 am, I find I am exhausted. I am physically tired, because it is late and I should be in bed, and this is only one of many such nights. But I am also mentally and emotionally and spiritually drained. The last year and a half hasn’t been the best of my life; law school isn’t pleasant. And in my exhaustion, I find myself dwelling far too much on the bad things in my life.

Today is Thanksgiving. And though I am exhausted, I have turned on the Christmas music and granted myself half an hour to sit down and remember all the wonderful things I have to be thankful for. Some of them are small, and some of them are serious, and some of them are probably silly, but all of them make my heart happy and my life better.  And that's something I need to remember!

I am thankful for my family. They are amazingly supportive, particularly my mom, who deals with my school-induced panic attacks with tons of reassurance and patience. (especially appreciated this time of year!) I love you, family!

I am thankful for the opportunity to spend this semester abroad. I have seen and done so many new and exciting things; been so many wonderful places. I am thankful to be living in London (in an English speaking country!), especially at this time of year, when Christmas is everywhere!

I am thankful for foreign accents, which make just walking down the street fun and interesting.

I am so thankful that my home is in America. I am have been very spoiled living there, which I never really grasped before now, but I feel that’s okay. I am so thankful to live there. America isn’t perfect by any means, but I do love my country.

I am thankful for my thick winter jacket! I hereby renew my claim that it is the BEST addition to my wardrobe that I ever made. I am also grateful for thick, homemade woolen winter accessories. I would be lost (or at least some of my extremities would be) without my hat, scarf, and gloves. For my new warm boots, which I LOVE. Ummm, and for my heater, and my lack of utility bills…

For cheerful Christmas music. For music in general really. My life is a musical; I’m never truly happy if I’m not singing, or listening to someone else do so. (On that note, they have some pretty worship songs here!)

For office supplies, particularly binder clips, tabbies, and sticky notes. And only slightly less important, R.S.V.P. pens. And my Jetstream pens! Also Sharpie liquid highlighters. I would be lost without these things in large quantities, and it is probably a little pathetic how happy I am whenever I make new additions to my collections. (I am especially thankful to be going office supply shopping tomorrow!)

For mail, and messages, and IMs, and skype conversations with friends and family back home. And, for all the ridiculous things that come with it, for Facebook.

For smiles and laughter.

For fuzzy soft animals that purr. And for the puppy I am going to buy myself after the BAR.

For coffee!!! (tastes not great unless it’s frufru, but a total life saver.) For Italian food. For chocolate. For Kraft macaroni and cheese! And for Pumpkin bread. Ph pumpkin bread, how I miss you!

For children on the tube, who are generally (amazingly!!!) well-behaved, perfectly adorable, and whose natural inclination towards fearless curiosity makes me smile (even though it also scares me a bit. Parents here seem to think the tube is safer than I think the tube is).

I am thankful that I am in law school. It’s not fun, but I am blessed by the opportunities it will give me later to help make others’ lives better. And I am blessed to be going to Pepperdine, which is probably the most Christian, least competitive environment I could have chosen for this challenging portion of my life.

I am thankful that Pepperdine is providing Thanksgiving dinner!

I am thankful for the fact that I do NOT get a Thanksgiving break, because God, in His perfect timing, granted me instead a week-long travel break at just the right time for me to go home and celebrate my Granny’s life with my family.

I am thankful for dear friends, new and old, who have made my life richer and lighter.

I am so, so thankful for God. For His forgiveness and mercy and grace. For His Word, His peace, His love.  For His presence, and the gift of never really being alone.  For His comforting hand, and the way He has made my life so very blessed.

Happy Thanksgiving! (and goodnight! ^_^)

1 comment: